We are constantly expanding this section.
If you have any questions that are not answered here, feel free to contact us!
Ms. Fielder kindly allowed us to copy some of her Q&As from her StudIP page.

General Information
How should I address lecturers?
In the English-speaking world, less emphasis is placed on titles, so the best way to address most lecturers is probably “Mr/Miss/Mrs/Ms + Surname”, especially if you are speaking to them. If you do wish to use their title (for example in writing), then you simply take their highest title and use it with their surname, e.g. Professor Hoffmann, Dr Schäfer. Note there is no need for Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms as well as their their academic title.
Also note that English has different ways of addressing women according to their marital status, where German simply uses ‘Frau’ for everyone.
Mrs – If you know the person is married and they have taken their husband’s surname or double-barelled their surname, e.g. Mrs Kolbe-Hanna
Miss – If you know the person is unmarried and uses their maiden name, e.g. Miss Fielder
Ms – If you don’t know whether the person is married, or if they are married but have kept their maiden name, e.g. Ms Ebbert.

Tip: You can also look at course documents of the person’s email signature to see how they like to be addressed.

What dictionaries and reference works do I need for my English classes?
Individual class teachers will inform you about the recommended reading and reference works for individual courses. In general you need to have access to a few good dictionaries that you’ll need throughout your studies.
Here’s a list of recommended works:

Monolingual dictionaries
Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (Oxford: OUP)
Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (Essex: Longman)
Longman Advanced American Dictionary (New York: Pearson-Longman) [US Eng]
Merriam-Webster’s Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary (Merriam-Webster, Inc) [US Eng]
Rundell, M. & G. Fox (eds), Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners (Basingstoke: Macmillan)
Sinclair, J. et al (eds), Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary (New York: Harper Collins)

Bilingual dictionaries
The Oxford-Duden German Dictionary (Oxford: OUP)
Harper Collins (PONS) German Unabridged Dictionary (Glasgow: Harper Collins/Stuttgart: Ernst Klett)
Langenscheidt Großwörterbuch Collins (Glasgow: Harper Collins)

Collins Thesaurus A-Z (Glasgow: Harper Collins)
Concise Oxford Thesaurus (Oxford: OUP)
Laird, C. (ed), Webster’s New World Thesaurus (Basingstoke: Macmillan) [American English]

Collocations dictionaries
Lea, D. (ed), Oxford Collocations Dictionary for Students of English (Oxford: OUP.)
Benson, M., E. Benson & R. Ilson (eds), Student’s Dictionary of Collocations (Berlin: Cornelsen)
Rundell, M., Macmillan Collocations Dictionary for Learners of English (Basingstoke: Macmillan)
McCarthy, M. & F. O’Dell, English Collocations in Use: Advanced (Cambridge: CUP, 2002.)

Reference grammars
Swan, M. Practical English Usage (Oxford: OUP, 2005)
Carter, R. et al, English Grammar Today: An A-Z of Spoken and Written Grammar (Cambridge: CUP, 2011)
Carter, R. & M. McCarthy, Cambridge Grammar of English (Cambridge: CUP, 2006)
Sinclair, J.M. et al. Collins Cobuild English Grammar (New York: HarperCollins, 1990)
Thomson, A.J. & A.V. Martinet, A Practical English Grammar (Oxford: OUP, 1987)



Classes and Signup

Which classes to I have to take and how do I sign up for them?
Please take a look at our Schedule page.

I missed the sign-up period. What should I do?
Generally, you should always contact the lecturer giving the relevant seminar/lecture. However, LANG classes are an exception:
For the LANG classes, contact the coordinator in charge.
1st and 2nd semester LANG coordinator: Mr Banks (banks@uni-trier.de)
3rd and 4th semester LANG coordinator: Mrs Duplang (duplang@uni-trier.de)
5th and 6th semester LANG coordinator: Miss Fielder (fielder@uni-trier.de)
Master’s classes                                     : Ms Ebbert (ebbert@uni-trier.de)

What happens if I fail a class?
You will have to take the class again. You can choose a new teacher if you prefer to do so. Just sign up like you would do for any other class.



Leave a Reply